Judge Herndon is an extremely active member of our community. From his time on the bench to this work with local organizations, Judge Herndon is committed to engaging his neighbors, his friends and all of those he serves.Read More
Respected Leadership. Trusted by the Community.
About Judge Douglas Herndon
One of the finest and most respected judges on the bench today, Judge Douglas Herndon was originally appointed in 2005 by the late Governor Kenny Guinn.
He is currently the Chief Judge of the court’s Homicide Case Team, having created the team in 2017 to best serve the people of Nevada by providing better judicial oversight in the 8th Judicial District Court System’s most serious cases, and previously served as the Chief Judge of the court’s Criminal Division from 2010-2017.
One of the court’s hardest working judges, Judge Herndon is consistently one of the top judges in terms of time spent in trial and was given the highest performance score of any district court judge from the Review Journal’s 2019 Judging the Judges survey.
Prior to serving on the bench, Douglas Herndon enjoyed a 14-year career in the Clark County District Attorney’s Office, the last nine years of which were spent as the Chief Deputy District Attorney in charge of the Special Victim’s Unit.
Outside of the courtroom, Judge Herndon has been extremely active in our community, volunteering his time and service to help improve the lives of our neighbors.
- Rape Crisis Center, Advocacy Training Course Instructor
- The Meadows School, Board of Trustees
- Shade Tree Shelter, Volunteer
- The Promise P.A.C.K., Volunteer
- UNLV, Guest Lecturer
- UNLV Law School, Mock Trial Judge
- Bishop Gorman High School, Mock Trial Team Consulting Judge
- Annual Law Day Presentation Lecturer, Various Schools
- Community College of Southern Nevada, Guest Lecturer
- Nevada Child Seekers, Advisory Board Member
- Youth League Coach, various youth sports teams
News & Events
Las Vegas, NV – Today, District Court Judge Douglas Herndon announced his bid for Nevada Supreme Court. The seat, currently held by Justice Mark Gibbons, will be open in 2020 due to Justice Gibbons’ retirement. Herndon currently serves as a District Court Judge for Department 3 in Clark County, a position he has heldRead More